Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lots of details and quotes from the Graham Norton show - BBC Press Release

Quotes and details under the cut for spoilers


This week on the show, Graham Norton is joined by Twilight superstar Robert Pattinson, Oscar-winning actress Reese Witherspoon, House star Hugh Laurie and comedian Shappi Khorsandi.

Hot from the premiere of the new movie, Water For Elephants, Reese and Robert talk about the insanity of people camping out for 32 hours to see them.

Graham reminds Robert that in a previous interview, whilst talking about working with Ty the elephant star of the film he had said: "She is the best actor I have ever worked with."

Acknowledging Reese's (mock) indignation, Robert says: "I am continually saying the wrong thing and it's come back to haunt me, especially as I am now sitting next to the other best actor I have ever worked with."

Admitting they had both fallen in love with their four-legged co-star, Reese says: "She is amazing, thoughtful and communicative." And Robert says: "I genuinely thought we had a real bond, a little something going on."

Talking about performing her own stunts for the movie, Reese says: "The first couple of times I did it I was terrified, some of the things we were doing were insanely dangerous. We didn't have safety equipment, but it was amazing and incredible."

Denying she tried out the stunts out on her own pet donkeys, she says: "No, they are for putting in the car and taking pictures of."

She also confirms the rumour that the elephant farted in her face: "I was standing underneath her and I couldn't see anything and then I thought I heard a gun shot and I hit the floor, I came out from under her and I was like, 'oh my god what the hell was that?'"

On working in the US, Robert says: "When I first went to LA it was very easy to convince people I was a member of the royal family. I told people I went to RADA with Prince William. People would think, 'You're English, I completely believe you.'"

Talking about her fans, Reese says: "One girl said, 'I only have one question for you. Can I smell you?' I just thought it was completely bizarre. My fans are invested in my personal life, they give me love advice, which sometimes works out and sometimes doesn't! I met a guy called George yesterday, he said he likes my new husband… he's never met him."

Robert adds: "I think I have a much more simplistic reaction with fans – they like screaming. There is an overwhelming amount of energy, they've only got one thing to say and its screaming – it's really powerful."

He also reveals he had an over enthusiastic fan and says: "I was doing a movie in Spain and at the time only had one fan. She was hanging around outside my apartment for ages so I invited her out for dinner. She took me to her parents' restaurant, which was miles away and I had to pay for a taxi, we had disgusting food and I had to pay for the meal. She never came back again… it was the strangest thing."

Robert, playing down his heartthrob status, says: "My sisters were abusive – they used to give me a pony tail! They don't see me as a heartthrob and say if I hadn't discovered hair gel I was just the tall guy that got to buy alcohol for them."

Hugh Laurie pops in to chat about his new blues album and on his new career as a musician, says: "It's a dream like experience. I'm looking forward to reading about it in five years time when it will feel real. It's what I've always wanted to do absurd as it may seem. I've had this amazing opportunity to reinvent myself and I took it with both hands." On his gigs he says: "They were the three most frightening experiences of my life."

Confirming the album release was delayed because of the Royal Wedding he says: "We did push it back a little bit to make way for the nuptials." And, with tongue firmly in cheek, adds: "We didn't want to steal the limelight."

On the huge international success of House, Hugh says: "It is rather large, rather substantial, I can't account for it. It is such a densely wordy show that I can't imagine how it gets translated well enough. House is so idiomatic, so extremely witty and well written it's extraordinary to me that people are prepared to get into it."

Shappi makes a plea for her lost cat to come home and talks about her tour and benefit gig at the O2.

Hugh performs You Don't Know My Mind from his new album live in the studio.

And, finally, Graham pulls the lever on foolhardy members of the audience brave enough to sit in the red chair.

The Graham Norton Show, BBC One, Friday 6 May at 10.40pm


BBC | Via

1 comment:

Iluvthemovies said...

Mandy and Linda thks for providing this info. You have probably already guessed I am a big fan of The Graham Norton Show. I hope you will be able to get a youtube or Daily Motion version when it airs on BBC1 on Friday. In the states I am certain it will be a couple of weeks. Thks again.